Friday, February 29, 2008

New Garden

Ah, Yes, I love to garden. Here is a picture of our little garden. We are using the methods taught by Mel Bartholomew in his book "Square Foot Gardening." Using this method means the same yeild in 80% less space compared to gardening in traditional rows, and a lot less weeding.

Last year this time we were pushing ourselves out of frozen parking spaces in St. Louis. This year we are watching young lettuce, carrot, pea, tomato and melon plants begin their journey upward. The desert Southwest does have its perks!

I wish that I had pictures of my apply tree blossoms, but I couldn't quite get the camera to focus at that close distance. I will put up a picture of the tree once it is in full bloom, some time early next week I expect.

Today as I was looking at the blossoms on the apple tree, and the green leaves emerging from the dead looking branches on our cherry tree, I was thinking about Job's conclusion from watching that same phenomenon at work in his day. Maybe there is life after death? He said, "For there is hope for a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that its shoots will not cease. Though its root grow old in the earth, and its stump die in the soil, yet at the scent of water it will bud and put out branches like a young plant...If a man dies shall he live again? All the days of my service I would wait, till my renewal should come." Job wasn't sure about his own future, but observed something in trees that made him wonder.

I'm thankful that I don't live on Job's side of the resurrection. What a blessing it is to have the certainty, beyond a cherry tree, that we will live again when Christ returns to raise up our decayed bodies to an eternity of life as he designed it before sin polluted this good earth.

I'm off to water the beets.

No comments:

Me and Angie

Me and Angie
December 2010