Monday, April 27, 2009

The Lord is at Hand (Phil 4)

It was one of those mornings when I just flipped open my Bible without any intended landing point. I'm still working through my reading of 1 Corinthians, but randomly ended up in Philippians 4. The words jumped off the page: "The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything..."

I don't know what you might be working through right now, but how do those words affect your ability to face your circumstances with faith?

I jotted these sentences down:

I'm not sure how we are going to get groceries. The Lord is at hand.

My wife seems to be getting weaker in her fight against disease. I feel
weakened by the task of caring for her, the children, and maintaining my work
load at the office. The Lord is at hand.

I'm afraid at night. The Lord is at hand.

I'm facing new temptations this morning. The Lord is at hand.

My boss wants me to do something terrifying--give an oral report to the
board. The Lord is at hand.

I'm facing death. The Lord is at hand.



Somehow these words have enabled a visual sense of his presence and power. Paul doesn't say, "I'm at hand," or, "The President is at hand," or, "Superman is at hand." He says that the one who made me, who conquered death, who loves me--it's Him--He's at hand.

No comments:

Me and Angie

Me and Angie
December 2010