Saturday, August 9, 2008

Upon Further Thought

I think that from time to time I'll share with you some of of the fruit that comes from my musings, as long as you like fruit that is pretty bruised. It's Saturday evening. My normal Saturday evening ritual is to plead with God to do something in worship tomorrow. I am hopeful that he will meet with his people, that he will encourage the downcast, bring life to the spiritually dead, challenge the prideful, etc. This evening, as is often the case, my thoughts in prayer drifted to my desire to be able to preach well--that others might think well of my ministry efforts. This is crazy talk. I don't know why it is that my thoughts can go this directions, except that I have forgotten the focus of preaching.

I'm sure that no doctor walks into the operating room with hopes that his heart surgery patient likes the way he does his job. He simply shows up and does his work, work that he hopes will be used for the good of the patient. His focus is on the one he comes to serve. That is good thinking. I already have many promises from God's word concerning its proclamation. It will never return without accomplishing its intended purpose. It is living, sharper than any two edge sword. It is life-giving, the fuel for faith. It is authoritative because of its Author. It is true. O, Lord, please work through your Word for the blessing and salvation of your people.

No comments:

Me and Angie

Me and Angie
December 2010