Sunday, May 31, 2009

More on the Diet

I've been doing some more thinking on the matter of food in my life. Here are a few of my own confessions and new insights that might spur some further personal reflection for some of you:
  1. I should not be enslaved by food. I'm not my own, I've been bought with a price. Jesus is my master, not my stomach.
  2. As part of the body of Christ, whereby we experience the indwelling of the Holy Spirit on both a corporate and individual level, I should not defile it with excess body fat.
  3. Taking care of my body, through my diet, is a matter of stewardship. The body matters to God. The resurrection declares that truth.
  4. I'm surprised that we are many times quicker to criticize the way somebody uses their money than we are to take stock of the way we are treating our own bodies with the food we eat.
  5. Gluttony is a sin. I can't avoid that.
  6. I shouldn't be surprised by the fact that my body functions better when I fill it with the kinds of foods, in proper proportions, for which it was designed.
  7. When I'm functioning in good health because of proper diet and exercise I'm in a better position to help my neighbor when needs arise. This truth makes my overeating selfish.

Still lots to learn.

I've got my weekly weigh-in tomorrow morning. It should be encouraging, but I'm more thankful for what the scale shows about the transformation going on in my own heart.

No comments:

Me and Angie

Me and Angie
December 2010