Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Who do You Know? Who Knows You?

Today I spent time with a man I met a few weeks ago. We'll spend time together again next week. Until today, though I didn't realize who he is. He is well known around the world.

From the moment I met this man I have felt an affinity towards him. It wasn't based on any knowledge about his fame or accomplishments. But this afternoon I was pondering why it is that we become further excited to meet someone we admire and someone admired by the masses. I think that most of us, given the opportunity, would spend a weekend fishing with Payton Manning (no, I'm not a Colts fan) before taking the same fishing trip with our "average" neighbor. Why is this? I don't know for sure except to say that we all seem to clamor towards the opportunity to be known by the well known, to have a private audience with the popular one, the beautiful one, or the famous one. We wonder how it is that this new relationship might give us some advantage, more security, or a higher profile in our various spheres of life.

As I thought this through my mind wandered to John 17:3 where Jesus defines eternal life. "And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." To have eternal life is to be in relationship with the Creator and Sustainer of the universe, to be known by The Famous One.

Guess what! Remembering that I am intimately known by the only true God frees me up to run in love to the "average" neighbor nearby who is longing for relationship himself. It was intimacy with the Father that freed Jesus to live not in order to be noticed by the famous ones of his day, but instead to notice the least of these, his brethren.

Why don't you join me tomorrow in reading the Creation account in Genesis, the Exodus account summed up in Psalm 105, and the gospel texts telling of Christ's resurrection. Behold the majesty, power, love, and fame of your God and then remember that he knows you, and that you know him. I have a feeling that it just might change the way you approach your other relationships this week.

No comments:

Me and Angie

Me and Angie
December 2010