Thursday, June 14, 2007

No Power in these Hands

I continue to be in wonder at how much we learn about living as one of Christ's disciples through the words and reflections of the little ones among us. Here is some more "children's theology."

Just a couple of weeks ago our youngest was standing in front of a window and looking out onto the landscape. There were bushes, birds, and ants immediately before him. I'm not sure what he had been doing to come to this reflection, but turning to my mother who was standing right behind him, he said, "There's no power in these hands."

His words, and again the words of John 15, came to mind last evening as I sat shivering on a delayed airplane flying back from Nashville. Thinking of all that remains to do this week I couldn't believe that the onsetting sickness, that I'm still struggling with this morning (I don't know what I've got, but my whole body aches), had reduced me to a physical state of not even being able to stand up.

When I committed to undertake this task of church planting I think that in the back of my mind I was operating under the conviction that this was all about bringing the lost to Christ, maturing disciples, and watching God transform a city. Instead I'm finding, more and more during this season of raising support and preparing to be full time in Las Vegas that God is about transforming my heart, maturing me as a disciple, and bringing me closer to Christ. " There is no power is these hands."

Thank you for your continued prayers.

No comments:

Me and Angie

Me and Angie
December 2010