Monday, September 10, 2007

Celebrating Our Primary Calling

Today Angie and I are thanking God for his faithfulness to us through 13 years of marriage. On September 10, 1994 Angie and I made promises to each other before God and before a host of witnesses. Had we known what we were getting into, and had we known Christ as Lord and Savior, his grace in our lives would be amazing to this point.

But he gives more grace. At that time we didn't know what we were getting into. All I knew was that Angie was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen and that I wanted to be with her forever. I'm not sure what Angie was thinking? I'm thankful for it whatever it was. As excited as we were, we were both without God and without hope in the world. We had no grounding, no sense of purpose, no security in the midst of the storms that would come in the early years of our marriage. We were living for ourselves and yet somehow feeling more and more alienated from ourselves and from each other.

Thankfully God did bring us to himself. In 2000 both Angie and I were given new hearts, made alive in Christ, and began living with a sense of grounding, purpose, and security. We often marvel at God's kindness to bring us both to saving faith within a few months span.

And now here we are called together to see God's kingdom expand in the lives of people who call Las Vegas home. We thank God for that calling, but today we are thanking him for his primary calling in our lives to live united to our Creator, Redeemer, and Friend. Today we invite you to rejoice with us over God's pursuing grace that snatched us from the despair of self-absorbed lives in order to bring us to a sense of our true identity in Him. Please continue to pray that this will be true for the people of Las Vegas in the years to come as well.

I'm as excited today to begin the rest of my life with Angie as I was when we first exchanged vows 13 years ago. Actually I'm more excited knowing that we don't enter into the future alone, but securely hidden in Christ our Savior.

No comments:

Me and Angie

Me and Angie
December 2010